School's Out Blog Blowout


Hurray!  Summer is the time to savor activities and interests that most of us don’t have time for during the school year.  First on my list- joining Kovescence of the Mind and other teacher bloggers in a School’s Out Blog Blowout.  Find out how I plan to enjoy summer and enter to win a $100 TpT gift card below!


My Summer Bucket List


Eastern Shore Writing Project Invitational Summer Institute
I participated in the summer institute in 2006 and loved the collegiality.  Since then, I’ve worked as a teacher consultant, attending conferences and writing scrambles, teaching young writers, and presenting professional development.  Currently, I am interning as a facilitator by coaching writing groups and supporting teachers as they create lessons to support writing instruction in their schools.


  Annual TpT Conference in Orlando 
In July, my husband and I will drive from Maryland to Orlando, so I can attend the annual Teachers Pay Teachers conference.  Along the way we will visit friends in Charleston, SC, and Charlotte, NC.  This will be my second TpT conference and last year I loved it!  The conference helped me improve my resources and network with other amazing teacher authors.


Read for Pleasure
I couldn’t wait to start my summer reading, so I’m already on my fourth book.  I’ve been gathering recommendations and have already read the following titles:  All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr, Mudbound by Hillary Jordan, The Round House by Louise Erdrich, and The Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard.  My favorite has been Mudbound, and now I have several friends reading it, too.



Gardening and Cooking
Although I don’t have much gardening experience, I’ve started a small garden with tomatoes, peppers and herbs.  It’s so rewarding to make fresh salsa, salads, and soups.


  


     
Visits with family & friends 
During the school year, time is scarce, so I spend my summer days reconnecting with family and friends. Since we live in a popular vacation spot, we will have visits from both sides of the family.  No doubt, I’ll be cleaning my house a lot to keep up with all of the company!





A Book On My Summer PD Reading List

I’ve just ordered Writing with Mentors: How to Reach Every Writer in the Room Using Current, Engaging Mentor Texts by Allison Marchetti.  Each additional year of teaching experience shows me that using mentor texts is essential for improving student writing.

For instance, I use “The Gettysburg Address” by Abraham Lincoln as a mentor text in my American Literature class.  In this popular lesson, students analyze Lincoln’s use of parallelism and then use the technique in their own speeches.  First, they brainstorm people or events that are worthy of a memorial, and then they write speeches dedicating the memorials that they have designed. 

Would you like to try this lesson in your class? It’s available for free this week only!

Want more freebies?  Read more summer bucket lists from other teacher bloggers below.

Enter to win a $100 TpT gift card in the contest here:



School's Out Blog Blowout

12 comments

  1. Every year I plant a garden and then bugs or critters get all my rewards! That doesn't stop me from trying though! Hope to see you in Orlando! Please come to the free social on Tuesday night hosted by Florida bloggers (including me!) :)

    -Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa! I'm looking forward to seeing you at the conference!

      Delete
  2. I loved All the Light We Cannot See and the Red Queen. I'll have to try Mudbound. Thank goodness for summer and more reading time! See you around. Kathleen Kidpeople Classroom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you will like Mudbound if you enjoyed the other two books!

      Delete
  3. Safe travels to Orlando! Hope to see you at the conference.
    Adele - Smart Teaching

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, please say "hello" if you see me! I will have a button with my logo on my bag.

      Delete
  4. I am very happy to visit this website and read the great information that you present. Thank you http://awriter.org/essaytigerscom

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to see you in Orlando!
    Michelle :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Please say "hi" if you see me!

      Delete
  6. Thanks so much for organizing this! I've been an avid follower of yours for quite a while and love all of your products!
    Lit with Lyns

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adored my writing project SI. It was very sad when I lost my job and had to move to another area and lost the connections of my writing project.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top