Valentine's Day Blog Hop 2015


No matter how cliché Valentine’s Day may be, who can resist the buzz of romance and love? Thanks to The Language Arts ClassroomFaulkner's Fast Five, and The Literary Maven, I'm celebrating the holiday with five things I would LOVE to share with you:

1)  Something I LOVE about teaching is when a student has that “aha” moment!  For instance, last semester I had my students watch Malala Yousafzai’s speech to the United Nations in July 2014, which advocated education for girls and children around the world. Many of my students were star-struck by her.  In fact, later in the semester, when they had to design a memorial for someone of their choosing and write speeches dedicating their memorials, quite a few chose Malala.  One girl even designed her memorial to be a library in honor of Malala.



2)  A TpT product that I would LOVE to try is Julie Faulkner’s “A Rose for Emily” unit. Some people and characters really take drastic measures for love, and students are always shocked by the ending of this story! Julie’s lesson gives a new spin on a timeless classic.


3)  I remember that I LOVED when my father, who passed away many years ago, gave me and my sister heart boxes filled with chocolates every Valentine’s Day.  It was a yearly tradition, so now when I see the heart boxes in the local drug store, it always reminds me of him!


4) One summer I would LOVE to travel around the United States and take tours of famous American author homes.  I would write about the experience and turn it into a guide book for all of the other reading fanatics out there!


5)  A book that I LOVE and am rereading right now with my Advanced Placement Literature students is Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson.  The protagonist Ishmael Chambers finds evidence that can clear Kabuo Miymato’s name in a suspenseful murder trial.  Kabuo is the husband of Ishmael’s lifetime love, Hatsue Miyamoto, though.  Will he do the right thing and share what he knows?  This is a great read for Valentine’s Day since it teaches that true love is about personal sacrifice.



Thanks for “hopping” over to OCBeachTeacher, and I hope you have a wonderful 

Valentine's Day!





5 comments

  1. That is an awesome idea! I would buy the guide book. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely tribute to a rose and chocolates! Refreshing for Valentine's learning! Students will love it. Thanks - Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the book Snow Falling on Cedars too - we use it with our senior students.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy to see that "Snow Falling on Cedars" is still being taught. This book has so many timeless themes and issues for students to explore.

    Happy Teaching,
    Connie Casserly
    http://www.teachitwrite.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am honored to see my "Rose for Emily" unit on your blog. I can say that every time we do this unit, my kiddos are thoroughly appalled! And I can't wait to read Snow Falling on Cedars! Thanks for hopping along with us.
    ~Julie

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top